7th July 2009
The Annual Toone Family Summer Road Trip starts tomorrow at 9am (hopefully!). This one will be quite an adventure! We’re heading west… seeing lots and lots of family and old friends along the way, doing lots of bike races (well, actually only 2 different but those two will consist of 9 total stages!) I’ve got lots more chatter now that I’m actually sitting here blogging instead of writing a blog post in my head in the shower (rarely, rarely do those creative, inspiring posts make it to the computer!), but, alas, it’s 10:30 and I’ve got to get some sleep tonight so I’ll be patient and cheerful when my kids are bored and making me crazy on the 8 1/2 hour leg of the journey tomorrow.
Here’s the run-down (mileage/time according to Google Maps. You can see the rudimentary journey here or I’ve inserted the actual map at the bottom…
- Wednesday, July 8th – Birmingham to Van, Texas (565 mi, 8 1/2 hrs); Staying with friends from Mercy Ships Nicaragua. Hanging out at Mercy Ships and reconnecting on Thursday.
- Friday, July 10th – Van, TX to Carlsbad, NM (538 mi, 9 1/2 hrs); With a super early departure and good traveling graces, we’re hoping to catch the sunset event of the bats leaving the Carlsbad Caverns and a short visit to the caves in the morning.
- Saturday, July 11th – Carlsbad, NM to Flagstaff, AZ (624 mi, 10 1/4 hrs); This will be a long day, staying with my cousin, his wife and their 2 girls. Brian is excited to sleep “at altitude” for a night, as this will surely this will give him a competitive edge in 10 days when he races. (It’s ok for my exercise scientist sisters to laugh. I’m letting him believe it for the mental competitive edge!)
- Sunday, July 12th – Flagstaff, AZ to Las Vegas (262 miles, 4 1/4 hrs). Brian’s going to ride with my cousin before we leave Flagstaff, we’ll make a short visit to the Grand Canyon just an hour north, before heading out on the shortest leg of our entire journey.
- Sunday, July 12th to Wednesday, July 15th – Staying at the Monte Carlo in Las Vegas while Brian presents at a conference. Awfully excited to just hang out at our nice hotel that has a wave pool and a lazy river, along with 2 pools. Sweet! Who knows what else we’ll do in Las Vegas? Any free-cheap suggestions welcome…
- Wednesday, July 15th – Las Vegas, NV to Davis, CA (584 mi; 9 hrs); Arriving in our old hometown of Davis, the start of our lives as a family of 2 and of 3! Analise is so excited to see where she was born. We’re so excited to go back and see all our old friends.
- Wednesday, July 15th to Monday, July 20th – Staying with the Hafflys. Woohoo!
- Monday, July 20th – Davis, CA to Bend, OR (429 mi, 7 1/2 hrs). A gorgeous drive. Staying at a super-nice hotel on Monday night, after we bid $40 on Priceline… our bid was accepted and upgraded. Sweet!
- Tuesday, July 21st to Sunday, July 26th – Staying at a townhouse in Bend with my family, my aunt/uncle, cousin/wife/2 little girls (from Flagstaff!), my sister/brother-in-law. A mini-family reunion! Brian’s racing in the Cascades Cycling Classic. It’s a BIG race, and it will be quite an adventure to cheer him on through the tough, pro race. 6 different stages, lots of climbing, a very strong field. By the way, I tweet live updates of his racing @ToonesFanClub, in case you want to follow what’s happening!
- Sunday, July 26th - Bend, OR to Fort Collins, CO (1,065mi, 16 1/2 hrs). We’ll start heading east after the bike race ends mid afternoon, hopefully make it to Salt Lake City.
- Monday, July 27th – Fort Collins, CO. Staying with a friend from UW-Green Bay.
- Tuesday, July 28th – Fort Collins, CO to Denver, CO (60 mi, 1 hr). Actually THIS will be the shortest leg of the journey. Visiting my sweet sister, Kat, seeing whatever she wants to show us of her new hometown.
- Wednesday, July 29th or Thursday, July 30th – Denver, CO to Aurora, IL (967 mi, 14 hrs).
- Thursday, July 30th to Sunday, August 2nd – Aurora/Elk Grove, IL – Staying with another UW-Green Bay friend, visiting dear friends, while Brian races in the Tour of Elk Grove Friday to Sunday.
- Sunday, August 2nd – Elk Grove, IL to La Porte, IN (104 mi, 2hrs); Staying with my Grandma and visiting her until mid-day Monday.
- Monday, August 3rd – La Porte, IN to Birmingham, AL (627 mi, 10 1/2 hrs). A stretch of road we’ve driven many, many times. Straight down I-65, this will bring us home again after nearly 3 1/2 weeks.
What a crazy adventure! Look for updates from my iPhone… If you’re on our route, we can’t wait to see you! If you’re not… feel free to come on over to our route at any point… we’ll work you in!
View Out West – July, 2009 in a larger map